Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Day 11 - Columbus MT to Powell Wyoming

Ride Stats:
Distance: 109.7 Miles
Climbing: 5,249ft
Ride Time:  7:01
Temp:  59-91

Another great ride.  We had a fair amount of climbing, but had some help from a tale wind at times.  We also had some great winding descents.  My max speed hit 48.  While the air temperature was no higher than 91, the blazing sun with heat radiating off the road felt intense.  My Garmin bicycle computer read 115 at one point.  At the lunch stop I started over heating.  Was a little better with the air flowing on the road.  At the last sag stop I poured some ice water over my head and back, and soaked my head-sweats helmet liner with ice water as well.  That helped immensely.

My group tried to keep the pace relatively easy all day given that the big climb in the Little Big Horn mountains is tomorrow.

The landscape changed from mountains and wide open valleys to mostly hills and lot's of farm land.  As we neared Powel it became very dry and looked much like Arizona.

As we road through south eastern Montana and into Wyoming, the drivers became much more courteous.  It was surprising to all of us how aggressive motorists have been with passing us with oncoming cars and leaving little room with our pace line.  Drivers are now generally waiting to pass until it is safe and giving us much more room.  This was a pleasant change.

The roads over the last couple of days have really chewed up a lot of tires among all the riders.  There has been glass and other debris on the shoulders we have had to ride on at times.  I had to change my rear tire this afternoon after completing todays ride.  I had a minor slash on my sidewall that was probably ok, but I decided to put on a new tire to make sure I have no issues during tomorrow's mountain climb & big descent.

Pictures from today (including some from other riders):
Our team at work






Desert like about 25 miles from Powell

1 comment: